Hello! and welcome to our site. We are a husband and wife duo who likes to make food and experiment with new recipes. We decided we needed to take love for food and share it with our friends. We hope you enjoy our twist on some of our favorite recipes.
There is just something about the weather getting colder and having some warm comfort food in your stomach makes it all better. I honestly can’t tell you the last time I had pasta – which is weird because I love Italian food.
I mainly blame my girlfriends for this idea. Reason why, you ask. There seemed to be a week long Voxer conversation about how we should have a lasagna bar. Everyone makes a different kind of lasagna. The thought of that much lasagna makes my stomach hurt. And yes, I am ignoring your thoughts that you can’t get over that we were Voxing. And yes, it just turned into a verb from a noun. So bringing it back, the weather was cold and I had lasagna on the brain. Lo and behold, I was at the grocery store one random night and spaghetti squash was on sale! Let’s get two I said!
My only complaint about how this turned out is I really should just called it layered spaghetti bake. But that’s not want I wanted. The flavors were awesome and it still hit the spot. Throw some garlic bread sticks at it if you dare!
1 Spaghetti Squash (cooked)
1 pound Italian Sausage (I did half mild, half hot)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes, drained(14.5oz)
1 Onion, diced
2 Tbsp. Garlic
2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning, Smoked Paprika, Crushed Red Pepper, Basil
16 oz Cottage Cheese
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half, season with salt and pepper and bake for about 45 minutes or until cooked through.
2. While spaghetti squash is cooking, work on the sauce.
3. In a skillet, cook the Italian sausage with onion and garlic until brown.
4. Pour in can of diced tomatoes and seasonings. Add about 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
5. Simmer until flavors are cooked through.
6. Once spaghetti squash is cooked, scrape out squash into a separate bowl.
7. In a 8x8 glass cooking pan, put about half of the squash on the bottom. Then layer with cottage cheese, then sauce.
8. On top of the sauce, add the rest of the squash, then cottage cheese and remaining sauce. Top with Mozzarella Cheese.
9. Put back in oven for about 30 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
10. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
11. Serve and enjoy!